Common Mobile Charger Legislation to be Proposed by European Union

Since 2011, phone charger connector diversity has been reduced, however, the European Union is currently pressing for a uniform solution. 

Common Mobile Charger Legislation to be Proposed by European Union

According to Reuters, the European Commission, the EU's executive department, is presently preparing a proposal for a universal mobile charging solution. In September, it is anticipated to be unveiled.

Apple is the most probable victim of such laws. According to research commissioned by the European Commission in 2019, just 21% of phones have a Lighting connection, with the remaining 79 percent using micro-USB or USB-C. 

The source did not provide any further information on the legislation's development, but we already know that European Parliament MPs voted in support of a uniform charger.

Apple has claimed that requiring users to transition to new chargers would “hurt innovation” and result in “a pile of electronic waste.” It further claimed that because the market is organically heading toward a USB-C solution, any direct regulation is unnecessary.

The environmental effect and user comfort are the driving forces behind charger standardization.


This article is contributed by Sunil. 

Post a Comment

0 Comments